Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

Poetry Friday

My Poems
Nita Penfold

come to me hard-fisted
with mean mouths
they are not polite ladies
will not be still
they won't stay where I put them
nor keep my secrets.
I heir red-rough hands,
their ready grins
the way they yank and unravel
my bindings, and won't let me sleep
until they loose my soul.



From Claiming the Spirit Within: A Sourcebook of Women's Poetry edited by Marilyn Sewell,Beacon Press, 1996.
Poetry Friday is hosted this week at Live. Love. Explore.

12 comments:

Ana S. said...

I really, really love that, Susan. Thank you for sharing.

Belle said...

"come to me hard-fisted/with mean mouths" - that is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing this one.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Wow that is powerful!

Kelly Polark said...

Oooooh, this poem will be a hit today with the all the poets reading it. Thanks for sharing!!

susan said...

Thanks all for reading and commenting.

Zetta Elliott said...

usually I insist that I'm in control when I write, but this poem is too true...sometimes what comes is hard, ugly, unrelenting...great poem!

Irene Latham said...

You've made pain beautiful. Well done.

Sandra said...

I really enjoyed this, thanks.

Michelle said...

Oh yes!

Mary Lee said...

They can be hard-fisted, but they grin. I like that in a poem that unravels my bindings!

susan said...

Hi everyone, glad you like this. I'm pretty sure all the published poetry I have posted is from collections I actually own. My largest collection is poetry.

sarah said...

this is an awesome poem. The thing I like best about Poetry Friday is finding new poets I've never encountered before. So thank you for sharing this one.