Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

GLBT Reading: January Mini-Challenge

Hi everyone! January's mini-challenge here at the Challenge That Dare Not Speak Its Name is a simple one. What we'd love for you to do is take a moment to write a paragraph or two on why this challenge and/or this issue is important to you. Once you do, come back and link your post up here.

This challenge and the challenges that face the GLBT community matter to me because members of this community are my friends and family. My belief in equality and inclusion for all people means just that- all people.

This challenge matters to me because I believe it is harder to hate someone after you’ve taken the time to know them. GLBT issues are our issues. Our common human flaw to use difference as a reason to mistreat and exclude is unacceptable, inhumane, just plain wrong.

This challenge matters to me because at the end of the day, we all bleed. Cut someone and it hurts. I want to stop the bleeding.

9 comments:

Robby said...

Those last three sentences...so inspiring. So beautiful. I'm glad for this challenge too. Your blog is really great.

Amanda said...

What a beautiful post. I love those last lines.

ps - I will email you back soon. :)

Michelle (su[shu]) said...

I'm with Robby. Very inspiring. In one way or another, it's just like saying, "we're all in this together". Regardless of differences.

Carol H Rasco said...

Thank you, Susan....those last lines fit so well so very many issues. I am so pleased you brought up GLBT in this instance, however, as family members have in recent years made me much more sensitive to this issue. Thanks, friend!

Jessie Carty said...

Beautiful post. I need to stand up for my own belief in GLBT equality on my own blog. I am working up the nerve!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Susan, it's women like you who inspire authors like me to keep writing LGBTQ books!

Love you!

Stephanie said...

"It's harder to hate someone after you've taken the time to know them." That really says it all, doesn't it?

Shooting Stars Mag said...

oh wow, I love those last lines as well. the whole thing is brilliant though. I absolutely agree. :)

Lauren

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

Very lovely post, Susan. I couldn't have said it better.