Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Confession Tuesday

When I was nine-years-old, I won a school poetry contest. A friend and I won places to attend a citywide competition. I was so excited and my parents of course were proud.

I mentally prepared for the competition. I spent hours thinking about what I would write. I thought about what would be good enough to win.

By the time we got to the competition, I was sure I would do well. Everybody told me what a good poet I was. I didn’t know what to expect during the competition, yet I was convinced I would win. The day was filled with a series of workshops where we were given instructions for doing what I thought simple writing exercises. I was annoyed and anxious to get to the business of writing a winning poem. I didn’t understand why we were wasting time on warm-up exercises. I put little effort into these sessions. I was saving my creativity for the real event.

continued here...

1 comment:

January said...

Gosh, I thought I commented on this because it read it last Tuesday.

But all that stuff from our childhood is charachter building. We are who we are because of moments like these, good and bad.