Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

3WW

"Another Day On The Job"
continued

He stood outside the bar watching them, brooding over the most restrictive conditions of his employment: only the designated party may be killed and no witnesses. These were frivolous, unnecessary provisions and every time he thought about them he boiled. His mood was as dark as the shadows that concealed him. To distract himself, he slowly pulled off the nail of each digit. It should have been excruciatingly painful instead the discomfort passed too quickly and his agitation grew.

Inside the bar, among her friends Janie laughed and drank. Her girlfriends’ reaction to Peter went beyond impressed. By four beers in, her success backfired instead of feeling elated she felt the dark edges of loneliness curling around her temples. Why can’t I be open and candid with other men? Why don’t I act on impulse, take a risk with a guy I might actually have a relationship with? Peter is kind and funny, and catching him by surprised that time wearing only a towel was delicioussssssssssssss. He’s perfect except he’s gay.

“Janie, ready to go, love?”


*Every Wednesday, Thom posts three words at 3WW. We're to be creative. Today's selection is a follow up to short piece I started a couple weeks back. I exceeded under 100 words. To see what others have done with the word choices go here.

6 comments:

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

This took a dark bend. Not that I mind, you know me - I love mayhem.

susan said...

I like a little mayhem, too. Could you work with me with your word choices so we can hang out in the dark a bit? :-)

Anonymous said...

I like the dark turn on this, too. Last week was a picture; this week we get suspense. Leaves me wondering what's in store for next week.

susan said...

Hi Ann,
I've been writing these off the cuff. Thinking about putting some real effort to fleshing this out, editing, developing the characters. Don't know what if it will become anything but I am enjoying the process. Thom provides word choices that really give us something to work with.

Anonymous said...

Susan, thanks for visiting me! I've added you to my Favorite Venues list.

I think it's cool how you're able to use the prompts to make an actual narrative. No matter how far you end up taking it, you're having fun. I can't imagine writing for any other reason.

Heather said...

Oooh, I can hardly wait to see what happens next!