Pages

Friday, May 15, 2009

Color Online: Diversity In Reading: A Meme

Color Online: Diversity In Reading: A Meme

Doret shared a link about this meme a few LLM posts back. Lenore recently answered. Presenting Lenore routinely gets a gazillion replies, only ten responded to her post on diversity. Here are my responses. Feel free to leave a link here or at Color Online if you answer the meme. How big is your world?

1. Name the last book by a female author that you’ve read.
Mayra Lazara Dole

2. Name the last book by an African or African-American author that you’ve read.
The Making of Dr. Truelove by Derrick Barnes

3. Name one from a Latino/a author.
Down To The Bone by Mayra Lazara Dole.

4. How about one from an Asian country or Asian-American?
Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon is on my tbr. Recently read She's So Money by Cherry Cheva.

5. What about a GLBT writer?
Down To The Bone by Mayra Lazaro Dole. Prior to that I think the last was From The Notebooks of Melanin Sun by Jacqueline Woodson. Highly recommend Luna by Julie Ann Peters and Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger.

6. Why not name an Israeli/Arab/Turk/Persian writer, if you’re feeling lucky?
Recently read, failed to review Sadika's Way by Hina Haq. In the wings, Ask Me No Questions by Marina Budhos. Pesepolis by Majane Satrapi is amazing.

7. Any other “marginalized” authors you’ve read lately?
Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga and A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott.

5 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

I figured you'd be pretty diverse in your reading!

And I think that post didn't get a lot of replies because I was out of town and not really commenting on blogs. I get a lot more comments when I leave comments I've noticed.

Doret said...

I am happy someone started this meme. Susan, I also notice the lack of responses. I will have to check out Luna and Parrotfish I keep hearing great things about both.

And if anyone has read Project Sweet life by Brent Hartinger that counts towards five.

susan said...

Hi Lenore, I'm sure that accounts for some. My experience is that discussions about diversity typically draw fewer comments, too.

Doret, I'll have to check out that book. I just ordered Lucy The Giant

susan said...

Found this link at Crazy Quilts about how white children are (not) discussing race.

It seems whites are so concerned about saying something wrong, they avoid the topic even when discussing it could lead to better performance on evaluation.

Serena said...

I probably haven't gotten to Lenore's post, since I am so behind on blog reading