Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2009

In My Mailbox (4)

A light but good week. Okay, I know most bibliophiles will say this is blasphemy, but I really do have too many books physically piled up. And if we considered my virtual tbr, it would be even worse. To that end, I am glad that I got a single title in the mail, and I only picked up three books from the library. A FYI to authors, I cannot afford to buy every book I read, but that doesn't mean I don't actively promote your book and affect sales. We have a great library system. I regularly suggest and request new buys for our library. I haven't requested a purchase that hasn't been made. Looking at my last two mailbox posts, I discovered that six of the books I've checked out are new book purchases I requested the library make. In My Mailbox is hosted each week by Kristi at Story Siren and Mailbox Monday is hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page. Eva hosts Library Loot at A Striped Armchair. This week I added to my ever growing pile:

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams. Received this for review. Read a review somewhere that I really enjoyed but of course now I can't remember where. I looked at some of the published reviews and most were over-the-top. This a story about one girl's experience in a polygamous community. I'm looking forward to it but I was turned off by some of the sensenationalized reviews. Williams’ portrayals of the family are sharp, but what’s most interesting about this book is how the yearnings and fears of a character so far from what most YAs know will still seem familiar and close. Grades 7-10. --Ilene Cooper

Say The Word by Jeannine Garsee. There was quite a bit of buzz around this one. Steph Su reviewed it and I value her opinion so I'm curious if we agree on most points or if there'll be key differences in our takes on this novel. Steph writes, Jeannine Garsee tackles the difficult subjects of homosexuality, homophobia, and family loyalty in SAY THE WORD. In particular, I found the family loyalty issue most striking.

Cuba 15 by Nancy Osa. May is Latin Book Month. I have picked this book a couple of times and have failed to get to it. That's the problem with having too many good reads at one time. Violet Paz has just turned 15, a pivotal birthday in the eyes of her Cuban grandmother. Fifteen is the age when a girl enters womanhood, traditionally celebrating the occasion with a quinceaƱero. But while Violet is half Cuban, she’s also half Polish, and more importantly, she feels 100% American.

Need by Carrie Jones. I've seen this everywhere on teen review sites. When I saw it in the library, I remembered I requested it. I'm not a big reader of the fantasy genre but I'll say this, this genre has some of the most striking covers I've ever seen. Diana at Stop, Drop and Read had mixed feelings about it. It's written in the present tense and first person. I'm really curious to see how well the author handles both a lesser used tense and point-of-view.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read your Sunday Salon post and tried to comment, but it disappeared! I was just saying thanks for all the great links and I'm going to try out the Little Lov'n Monday! It's a great idea and I'm sad I didn't see it before now.

Thanks for stopping by my blog a while ago, I have been slowly getting back to everyone recently. :D

Adele said...

Say the Word and Chosen One are both titles that have peaked my interest in the blogosphere of late. Both tackling interesting subject matter. I am particularly interested in Chosen One because it's a subject that I know very little about.

Great haul, am eagerly anticipating your reviews.

Rebecca said...

Awesome week you had, I loved Need it was great. Also, The Chosen One sounds like a really good book. Enjoy.

Unknown said...

My friend tells me NEED is a must read! I am very excited to read it once I get my hands on it. Have fun reading!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read The Chosen One. Happy reading!

Shalonda said...

Love this week's lot of books!

susan said...

Thanks all for reading and commenting. Looking forward to these as well.

go with happiness said...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on: The Chosen One, Need, and Say the Word. Hppy Rdng!

Melanie said...

The Chosen One looks incredibly interesting. I'm hopefully getting a copy of it soon myself!

Carrie said...

The Chosen One is definitely on my list. It looks fantastic!!

the story siren said...

Fantastic book wook! The Chosen One is a really great read! Hope you enjoy! Happy reading!

PolishOutlander said...

I really hope you enjoy The Chosen One. I read that a few months ago and it's one of those books that makes you want to step into the book and help the main character. Happy reading!

Cat said...

I was surprised with how much I loved Need. I couldn't put it down. I hope you enjoy it!

Fantastic Book Review said...

You had a great week! Happy Reading!

Unknown said...

I enjoyed The Chosen One and look forward to comparing notes.

My daughter picked up Need because of the cover but decided not to read it.

I won Say The Word in a contest and hope to get to it this summer! Only 11 more days!

prophecygirl said...

You got some cool books this week. Say the Word sounds very good!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I am looking forward to The Chosen One as well.

susan said...

I suppose I should push The Chosen One up the pile.

Serena said...

The Cuba 15 book sounds interesting.

Andrea said...

Wow--you got some really great books this week! The Chosen One, Need, and Say The Word are all on my WL!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

They all look great. Enjoy!

susan said...

Ah, enjoyed a much needed reading binge. I read Jumped and The Chosen One. Reviews shortly.

Thanks Serena, Andrea and Mary for coming by.