Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Saturday Six Sentences

I am following Mr. Maurer's, of Coffee for the Brain, lead. The idea is to talk about what I've read for the week regardless of how many books in six sentences.

This week it's very easy to keep to the limit. I'm only reading one title at the moment, Brown Girl, Brownstones by Paule Marshall, a classic women's lit title for Women Unbound.


I'm very early into the read but from the onset, I knew I was going to enjoy this because I was immediately reminded why I am drawn to Island and African writers: while they have distinctive voices, the common element among these writers is their imagery. Writers like Marshall, Jamaica Kincaid, Merle Collins and Chimamanda Nzogi Adichie create lush, seductive imagery; it renders the full measure of how language can move you. These kinds of reads can't be rushed.

Brown Girl, Brownstones is set in Brooklyn in the late 30s (ever wonder why so many incredible stories take place in Brooklyn). The protagonist, Selina is the daughter of immigrants from Barbados. She is caught between her parents' dreams and struggles and her own desires to be herself and not be shrouded in the memory of the infant son who died.

No comments: