Pages

Sunday, August 10, 2008

What Do I Want?

I want to save the plant
so that my babies' babies will have
clean air to breathe and trees
to sit under and fruit to eat.

I want science not evolution.
I want us to be stewards of
heaven on this Earth. I'm not
ready to be added to the endangered
species list just yet.

I want environmental policies that
promote sustainable urban development;
suits and Birkenstocks, together creating
green spaces where healthy people thrive.

What Do I want?

I want a real orange that tastes like
sunshine and its juices stick to my fingers.
I want to live long enough to giggle with my babies'
babies and inhale long, sweet breaths.

This week's prompt at Sunday Scribblings asked contributors to ask a question. I want a lot of things. This draft was inspired by Majora Carter's impassioned presentation on Ted.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

very moving and incredibly powerful...some of the simplest wishes can be the most precious. I really enjoyed your Sunday Scribblings...also your 3WW (especially the last line that almost made me cry) and will be back to read more.

My Sunday Scribbling is at:

http://bellamocha.wordpress.com/2008/08/11/sunday-scribblings-ask/

Bella :)

TMTW said...

I agree with Bella - Good stuff. The start of any journey is the wish to see beyond our front door. The world awaits us, if we aren't too lazy to ban together to preserve it.

I loved the mental pictures that you painted with the orange.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Not only do we have the same name, we think exactly alike. I love this. The ideas, the words, the image of business suits and Birkenstocks together.

You make me yearn to give up my car for my bike. At least more than I do now!

anno said...

I agree with autrice: achieving anything begins with great dreams. These are beautiful, tender, lovely pieces -- thanks for sharing your vision.

Jade said...

excellent!

Rethabile said...

I want a lot of those things, too. Your poem says it all very nicely.

LA Nickers said...

Such a SENSORY poem. All of a sudden, I am seriously craving an orange!

;-)

Blessings,
Linda

MEME EXPRESS – daily blog prompts

Kara Chipoletti Jones of GriefAndCreativity dot com said...

I loooooooooooove Ted.com -- completely addicted to it. Turns my tiny world upside down every time I watch something there!
GREAT sunday scribbling -- seriously!
write, write, write and more writing, please... :)
k-